The beads had fallen into the flue of the gas boiler.

In one of our previous news articles, we reported that on October 9, 2012, HIS Energy Ltd performed a cavity wall insulation installation, with some material accidentally falling into the flue of the gas boiler. This led to the death of Joyce Moore from the effects of carbon monoxide.

Her son Bob Moore and two paramedics were both hospitalised for high amounts of carbon monoxide in their blood. The case has now been settled in court, and HIS Energy were made accountable for their actions.

HIS Energy LTD, who carried out the cavity wall insulation, were found guilty of a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. The court heard that when HIS Energy employees visited the property on the 9th October 2012, one of the employees was aware of the blockage of the flue, but gave no warning to either resident of the home. They also did not place warning signs on the boiler or perform any remedial action – only telling them that they would have to “come back in the morning”.

The Health and Safety Executive brought the prosecution, and the firm was fined £500,000. The firm is now in liquidation.

HSE Inspector Lisa Bailey said of the company: “[They] knew about the risks from its work but its safety standards fell well below the legal minimum.”

The full story is available on BBC News.

Call Now Button